Monday, September 17, 2007

A tale of two weddings


I was on my way to catch lunch at the market yesterday (30p for the tastiest noodles ever) when I came across this wedding Marquee - in the middle of a 5 road junction. The custom is to put up the tent for the wedding outside your house... even if it is in the middle of the road.

There was another wedding going on yesterday, right across from my house, complete with uber-large PA system. Cambodian music is not for the faint of heart, and they like it loud. I was woken this morning (party still happening!) to the sound of someone chanting through the PA... or perhaps it was an invading army of daleks... to be honest, I don't think I could tell the difference.

Susan continues to get worse in Bangkok. Please pray some more. Also, Sun Hour, one of the Khmer admin staff at school told us that his young kid fell out of his cradle and bumped his head and keeps vomitting. I'm sure that's not a good thing so remember him too.
Update: I've been told that it's not a wedding opposite us, but a funeral. I feel kinda bad for mocking them now. On the down side, Cambodian funerals can last from 4 days to a week...

3 comments:

nealb said...

Does the cambodian man in charge of the PA wear shorts on a regular basis too? :)

Rob Baker said...

Hi Dave,

GREAT blog! Really enjoyed your comments & pics. (Found you via my friend Neal Breakey's blog). I had a similar experience to your wedding one here in Benin, but with a funeral - music all night and right outside my house! Have a look at the info here:
http://www.robbaker.org/2007/08/

Keep up the good work of blogging!

Rob Baker
(Fellow blogger, Benin, W Africa)

nealb said...

"Changing the channel name to Dave enables us to create a strong and noisy personality for the channel that immediately aligns us with our core 16-34 male audience."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7005061.stm