Thursday, September 27, 2007

Calculus and concrete


There is some building work going on at the school just now. Even though we rent our property, landlords in Cambodia expect you to make any alterations to a building you want, as long as you leave the structural supports in place. The school is adding a third storey to the high school building.


When you employ someone to do a long term building project here then their families just move in on site and live there for the duration. Often the families will help out with whatever work is going on.


Yesterday, I was teaching my a class and watching as a young cambodian teenager carried bag after bag after bag of cement past the window. I had the class stop work and watch for a while just to make them appreciate that they were so privileged to be getting and education, instead of having to work really hard in the heat, dust and dirt to earn a hand to mouth wage. Now, I've tried before to make my classes in glasgow realise how fortunate they are, being in the minority of people who live in the developed world. Mostly, this lore from grandmaster dave fell on deaf ears, but yesterday - with the "other half" sweating and toiling outside the room - I think the kids got it. It certainly hit home to me.

No comments: