Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Moon festival


Last night, Phnom Penh was celebrating the Moon Festival (or Mid-Autum). Flatmate Dave and I were sitting outside a restaurant having dinner when there was what sounded like gunfire really close by. Turns out it was just kids playing with firecrackers, thankfully! It was then that we noticed a lot of the shops and houses close by had set up little tables with candle, incense and mooncake.
It was really interesting to see the different approaches to celebrating. The family who ran the restaurant hurriedly set out a table, put on a tablecloth, had their adorable daughter light 2 candles on it, place some cake.... and then take it all away within the space of 5 minutes! They seemed almost apologetic but were happy to explain in broken english what was going on. For other, like in the picture above, it seemed to be quite a serious event, quiet devotion at the homemade alter and then a lengthy period staring at the moon. My Khmer skills were enough to politely ask if I could take this lady's photo (she was only too happy!), but I thought afterwards that maybe I was being intrusive. Hmmm, no harm done I hope.

The kids were certainly enjoying themselves! Lots of firecrackers and colourful lanterns. Unfortunately I was only armed with the mobile phone camera which wasn't really up to the job....

No comments: