Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mom, there's rain on my sausage...



Last night all the staff and their families came to my house for a bbq! It was awesome... someone had made real sausages which were tasty as a very tasty thing. It was a quality eveningm even when the heaven's opened and it rained enough to make Noah quiver in his grave.
The whole street (dirt track) outside the house was flooded so I headed out to see what the locals were up to. Most of the families are trying to stop their houses flooding, but the kids were having a great time playing with polystyrene boats. As usual, everyone was only too happy to have their photo's taken! All the school kids were busy in my back yard (get off my lawn!!!) turning it into a swimming pool / mud bath. Very tempted to join in but my sense of professional responsibility got in the way...
In contrast to these happy times, the plight of some of the beggars here is really hard to deal with. It's difficult when people with horrific conditions are asking for your help and your heart cries out to give and give and give, but your head says that the chances are there's a kingpin type guy hanging out in the background waiting to collect the money. Really difficult. I'd appreciate prayer for wisdom in this. At the moment I'm going for the giving food option and at least if I hang around for a bit I can see who's eating.


Must dash... I'm off to see a Bob Dylan tribute band. Surreal!

The times they are a changing...

No comments: