Thursday, November 29, 2007

Birthdays and Christmas

It's the 30th of November and I've just spend 2 hours marking science tests while listening to the Sufjan Stevens Christmas albums. Such wonderful music, it even made me forget that I just about ripped a toe nail off during breakfast this morning. Teaching barefoot is a dangerous business.



So, I'm guessing most people reading this blog have already been exposed to the Stevens Christmas tour de force. Even the people at church back in Shetland were privilaged to have it inflicted upon them at a Christmas Eve service where I put it in the CD player and superglued it shut (buoy, fits yon treeemendus din??). Such whimsical, sublime and quirky arrangements of all the old classics. If you don't have a copy make sure it goes in your letter to Santa this year!

Shameless pluggery aside, I've been super busy with actuall school work this week in preparation for the dreaded report card writing. It's actually quite an honerous task for a young teacher - perhaps a lack of experience makes me want to be careful that I'm being fair an honest in the grades I assign. This is particularly important in this school where a lot of the kids will be in deep shame if they are not performing to their parents (culturally imposed) expectations (Confucius meets Piaget).

I also turned 24 on monday. Interesting having a birthday celebration with people I had never met until 4 months ago. I really appreciate the friends I've made here - people from all over the globe with an eclectic range of experiences and perspectives. However, I must admit, I did miss not being with longtime friends on that occassion. A curious mix of feelings. We went out for a nice meal though, eaten sitting on the floor at a classy restaurant. Sadly the hilariously luminous cambodian shaving-foam cake was missing. May have to buy myself one for the experience! Is that allowed?

No comments: